Not eating grains? Try this Zucchini Lasagna with no pasta!
2 1/2 cups zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick (about 2 medium)
1/2 lb lean ground beef (I use 1 lb. grass fed beef)
1/4 cup onion, chopped
2 small tomatoes, cut up
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 cup water
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup low fat cottage cheese (I use ricotta cheese)
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (8 oz. divided)
1/4 cup Parmesean cheese
I also chop up and add in a little fresh basil and flat leaf parsley from the garden.
1 teaspoon Bob Red Mills All Purpose Gluten Free flour
1. Cook zucchini until tender, drain and set aside. Fry meat and onions until meat is brown and onions are tender; drain fat. Add next 8 ingredients and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered 10 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups.
3. In small bowl slightly beat egg.
4. Add cottage cheese, half of shredded cheese and gluten free flour.
5. In (1 1/2-qt.) baking-roasting pan arrange half of the meat mixture. Top with half of the zucchini and all the cottage cheese or Ricotta mixture. Top with remaining meat and zucchini.
6. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.
7. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. (I also use some Parmesean cheese on top) Bake 10 minutes longer.
8. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Top with some fresh basil too if you'd like!
Enjoy the Journey!